Saturday, October 24, 2009

Enlightenment e17 Install on Ubuntu 9.04

My desktop at home is not getting any younger, so I've been experimenting with some more lightweight desktops and window managers. I've tried (and recommend) e16, fvwm, and fvwm-crystal. My current Linux distrubtion is Xubuntu 9.04 and I also like the xfce desktop it provides. Maybe I just like everything.

After reading an article on Enlightenment in Linux Journal, I decided to give e17 a go.

First add the Enlightenment Repository to your sources list by opening your repository sources file with:

  $ sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list
Add the following line:
  deb http://packages.enlightenment.org/ubuntu jaunty main extras

After adding the repository to your sources list, grab and add the repository key:

  $ wget http://packages.enlightenment.org/repo.key
$ sudo apt-key add repo.key
$ sudo apt-get update
And then install e17:
  $ sudo apt-get install e17 emodule-places \
emodule-tclock emodule-calendar

Once everything's installed, log out and at the log in screen click Session and select Enlightenment. Log back in and you'll be presented with a few setup pages (I selected the Standard setup and added Firefox and some more friends to application list). After setup, you should be good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment