Friday, November 4, 2011

Prompted for GNOME Keyring Password During a Subversion Commit

Out of the blue when trying a Subversion commit, I was presented with a prompt for the password to the GNOME Keyring:

  $ svn ci -m"adding module"
Password for '(null)' GNOME keyring:
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: MKACTIVITY of '/svn/projectr/!svn/act/c5d9f7fb-76ee-4900-9a0b-b55928d418f0': authorization failed:
Could not authenticate to server: rejected Basic challenge (http://svn.myorginazation.org)

In my case, the password for my login took care of the problem. While I do not understand the reasons for the prompt, the same may work for someone else, as by default the login password is what is being asked for.

If anyone understands why the prompt may have occurred (I haven't done much research yet), please leave a comment. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I was able to resolve this by running
    rm ~/.gnome2/keyrings/login.keyring
    and then setting a new password for Gnome's keyring, though I wish Gnome would just get out of the way.

    ReplyDelete